The purpose of the CESA 8 Career Academy Teacher Externship (CATE) Program is to bring career-based classroom curricula to life and to build a bridge between skills-based and knowledge-based education. Through this unique professional development opportunity, middle and high school teachers from among the 27 districts in the CESA 8 region will be selected to work side-by-side with industry peers during a 3- to 5-day paid summer externship experience at participating Northeast Wisconsin businesses.
For more information on the CATE program, go to http://www.cesa8e4ed.org/cate-program.html
Benefits to employers:
· Gain understanding of and avenues to support those in the education world
· Create lasting partnerships with local teachers
· Ensure that their workforce needs are understood
· Increase opportunities for additional career-based activities such as student job shadowing, plant tours, and career speakers
· Directly contribute to sustaining a more highly-skilled workforce.
Benefits to teachers:
· Gain first-hand knowledge of how classroom content and learning strategies are applied in the workplace
· Receive professional development support to create lesson plans linking externship learning to student academic and career planning
· Receive a time and travel stipend or sub pay for up to 7 days of externship and professional development
· Enhance classroom curriculum with real-world career connections
· Earn optional 2 graduate credits through Viterbo University